South Africa

Khwezela South (Kleinkopje) Mine

Click for more information

Categories

Overview

Mine TypeOpen Pit
StatusCare and Maintenance
Commodities
  • Coal (thermal)
Mining Method
  • Truck & Shovel / Loader
  • Dragline
Production Start... Lock
Mine Life... Lock
SnapshotKhwezela South (formerly known as Kleinkopje) consists of the Bokgoni 2A pit and the MRD (also known as Landau 3), both of which were placed on care and maintenance with effect from the first quarter of 2021.

Coal mining operations were conducted in the designated RoMP at Khwezela South MRD during the period of care and maintenance. The coal was trucked to the Isibonelo Colliery where it was blended with in-pit coal at a ratio of 1:6 and then sold to Sasol Synfuels Operations.
Related AssetKhwezela Operation

Owners

SourceSource
CompanyInterestOwnership
Thungela Resources Limited 90 % Indirect
Ownership Tree
Thungela Resources Limited holds 90% of the Khwezela Colliery in South Africa with the remaining 10% held collectively by an employee partnership plan and a community partnership plan.

Deposit type

  • Sedimentary

Summary:

Khwezela South is located in the Witbank Coalfield where five coal seams are present. These consist of, from bottom, the No 1 Seam, sequentially to the No 5 Seam at the top and are all, with the exception of the No 3 Seam, part of the resource base. A small graben with a 10m throw lies to the northeast of the Bokgoni 2A pit. No major dolerite intrusions have been encountered. The No 1 Seam averages 2.0 to 2.5 m in thickness and is generally of good quality, able to produce a steam coal of 27.40 MJ/kg at yields greater than 60%. The Number 1 Seam Roof (S1R) coal is of lower grade with lower yields and is only mined when the No 1 Seam is destined for the local power station market. In places, the seam may be too thin to mine. The P1 parting between the No 2 and No 1 Seams is between 1.5 and 4.0 m thick and consists of sandstone. The No 2 Seam is developed over almost the entire Bokgoni area, subcropping to the north of the Bokgoni Pit. The seam varies in thickness from five to eight metres, averaging six metres. The seam is subdivided into subseams, generally based on quality. The highest quality coal occurs in the middle of the seam (the S2S), with duller coal above and below it. The No 3 Seam, although of good quality, is thin (approximately 30 cm) and has not been mined; it is used as a marker horizon. The quality of the No 4 Seam is highly variable across Bokgoni, with poorer quality coal in the west where the P4L parting occurs. The thin, upper portion of the seam (the S4) is of a higher quality, while the lower split below the parting, is of poorer quality. Higher grade coal is found in the east. The average seam thickness is 2.2 m. The No 5 Seam is on average, 1.5 m thick and is found in the deeper areas of Bokgoni.

Reserves

Lock

- subscription is required.

Mining Methods

Lock

- subscription is required.

Comminution

Crushers and Mills

Lock

- subscription is required.

Processing

Lock

- subscription is required.

Production

During care&maintenace period coal was mined from the declared RoMP in Khwezela South MRD. The coal was trucked to the Isibonelo Colliery where it was blended with in-pit coal at a ratio of 1:6 and then sold to Sasol Synfuels Operations.
CommodityUnits20162015
All production numbers are expressed as clean coal.

Operational metrics

Metrics20222021
Coal tonnes mined  ....  Subscribe  ....  Subscribe

Production Costs

Commodity production costs have not been reported.

Heavy Mobile Equipment

Lock

- subscription is required.

Aerial view:

Lock

- subscription is required.